How to pay VAT deferred due to Covid-19
If you deferred VAT between 20 March and 30 June 2020 and still have payments to make, you can:
- pay the deferred VAT in full on or before 31 March 2021
- opt in to the VAT deferral new payment scheme when it launches in 2021
- contact HMRC if you need more help to pay
Pay your deferred VAT
You can pay your deferred VAT in full by 31 March 2021.
If you want to opt in to the new payment scheme
You cannot opt in yet. The online opt in process will be available in early 2021. You must opt in yourself, your agent cannot do this for you.
Instead of paying the full amount by the end of March 2021, you can make up to 11 smaller monthly instalments, interest free. All instalments must be paid by the end of March 2022.
The scheme will allow you to:
- pay your deferred VAT in instalments without adding interest
- select the number of instalments from 2 to 11 equal monthly payments
To use this scheme you must:
- still have deferred VAT to pay
- be up to date with your VAT returns
- be able to pay the deferred VAT by Direct Debit
If you opt in to the scheme, you can still have a time to pay arrangement for other HMRC debts and outstanding tax.
Get ready to opt in to the new payment scheme
Before opting in you must:
- create your own Government Gatewayaccount if you do not already have one
- submit any outstanding VAT returns from the last 4 years. You will not be able to join the scheme if you have not done so
- correct errors on your VAT returnsas soon as possible. Corrections received after 31 December 2020 may not show in your deferred VAT balance
- make sure you know how much you owe, including the amount you originally deferred and how much you may have already paid
We are ourselves issuing regular updates via our website and e-mail cannons. If you are not receiving these and would like to be added to the list please e-mail [email protected] with the subject “Add me to your COVID-19 e-mails”.